Friday 28 August 2015

Fun Thursday

Maybe 'Junk food Thursday' would be better.
And we used to eat like this all the time! Watch out me! It's so easy to slip back into the greasy pit of carbs and fat. Noooooo! Loosing three stone since Christmas was too hard to let it slip back.
Besides, I like being slim, I like feeling sympathy for those who aren't, I like preaching about self control and I like being a condescending git, It feels natural.
Breakfast in City Cafe on Blair St. is one of my favorite diners this side of Miami. Haggis bap with fried egg. Ummm :-)

Camden Comedy bounced back with thirty plus and all the acts showed up and got rewarded with shorter sets. I was reliably informed by several old hands to over book the last few days, as many acts party into the wee hours and discover their ability to text an excuse is greater than their desire to perform at a lunch time gig!


Lunch. A beer with Fliss, Nigel and Zac very nice. A little difficulty finding a quiet pub with decent beer. We ended up in the Pilgrim which was at least quiet! For those who care, I've been reliably informed that the Pilgrim's special own label lager is bog standard Carling.
Jannis from Fife


Mambalsa. Six in. None had actually came for the show but stayed anyway. Which is a result for my people skills and the show's content. Two design students from London were interesting as he had been a contemporary dancer because he had had a proper dance curriculum at secondary school. She had convinced herself that she had no coordination skills and was still convinced even after I'd shown her to dance in less than two minutes. Self limiting beliefs are difficult to shift.


Fish and Chip supper in a grotty chip shop. Stained menus, sticky bottles of the cheapest watered down bottles, and the toilets :-(
Delicious fish and chips though :-)
Totally coordinated


Christian Reilly's show is the best example of the Free Fringe working well for an act. His show had over sixty in which was quiet for him but every time I see his musical cowboy political show I say to myself  'why isn't he on the telly'. He'll make money from the Fringe with little overhead.
Hal Cruttenden at the Pleasance. Excellent show but only marginally better than the solo shows I've seen this week for free. Yes, he's been on the telly but £14 per ticket compared to a Free finge donation of £1- £4 in the bucket, shows the Paid Fringe as the money machine it is. Stars do very well. Free shows can do ok and the less known paid shows can suffer a lot of debt if things go wrong. Had I been not working that night we could have seen his preview for a fiver at 'We Are Funny Project' in liverpool Street.

Flyers are sometimes misleading, or to be fairer they sometimes fail to convey the true nature of the show, or we simply mis read them! I thought Lip Syncers was going to be comedians lip syncing funny stuff over video clips like I've seen Hugh Dennis do on Mock The Week.
...so the drag cabaret spectacular was quite a surprise but very good with only the occasional glance from Fliss to say "why did you choose this?" "Is there something you're not telling me?"

All in all a good day at the Fringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment