Friday 14 August 2015

Edinburgh Fringe day 4 & 5

Tuesday  11th Aug 2015
According to those wissen old hands at the Fringe, the first Tuesday and Wednesday of the Fringe are the quietest. Collectively everyone straps in and prepares for the worst. The weekenders have gone back to work and errors in a a show's marketing haven't surfaced or been addressed. I think the main reason for Black Wednesday is everyone going around saying it's Black Wednesday!
My plan was to get busy! Busy Tuesday followed by 'So knackered I couldn't give a hoot Wednesday'
Best way to start a busy day is with a five mile run (see previous post for the map from the app)
Then bit of a strut in the street. I didn't have a huge success but I did have a nice chat with a morris dancer and got a lady from Georgia USA dancing away.
My pitch from the show has honed down to "Why are English Men soooo bad at partner dancing and what I can do to fix it!' The overwhelming response i.e. everyone one except the morris dancer, was 'yes they are' or 'no one can fix him' or the Irish/ Scottish/ Anywhere are rubbish too.

Camden Comedy was a little quieter 35bods but a really good show with Cally Beaton headlining. She nearly won BBC new act of the year and I think is the only act at Camden Comedy who lives in Camden!

Mambalsa- One man's quest. I was expecting another zero but ...........twenty! And I was pleased with the show in every way. Some real interest in the dance and the project :-)

Guest spot at 'In-expert' a small but fun gig on George IV bridge. Acts have to do a spoof Ted talk. I'm not going to explain a TED talk because if you don't know what one is, then you probably haven't heard of a blog and so are currently doing something else! Anyway I used part of my show based on how we learn stuff and it went down ok.

Then off to Cafe Baile for a Mambalsa Cabaret class to two hundred Edinburghians (I've know idea what the correct collective none is?)
The event was in the beautiful Lauriston hall, and was fabulously organized with sound engineer and green room etc etc.
First was a world class contemporary dance duet. amazballs!
Then a globe trotting flamenco superstar. Wow!
Then me!
Many in the room were tango dancers and I smashed though the fourth wall and stormed their barricade. A hundred people on the floor dancing Mambalsa to Uptown Funk.  Coooool!
Then back to the digs (a lovely flat with a glass of wine or two with my amazing land lady Helen)
........







Wednesday 12th Aug. 2015



Hangover vs run.... Hangover Winner! coffee coffee happy :-)
Trameed in to town. 
Strut went well. Criss (PHD nutritionist) from Chicargo, Clare a shagger from Glasgow (It's a dance!) Alise a ballroom dancer from Arizona who no longer did the Arizona Two Step, which is more jumpy then the Texas Two Step due to the scorpions (and I'm getting her name wrong sorry)
We strutted away from an hour and it was fun :-)


Camden Comedy was a little better with 35 but a poor bucket.
Mambalsa show had eight!  Charlie a bass player had been on my 1-Day Intensive a few months ago and is playing with a musical 'Rent' at the Fringe. He brought  his beautiful musical director and leading lady along. The other five were a bunch of middle aged Scots who were in the bar for a snack and I chatted to them before the show. They were a fantastic bunch and full of fun.
Totally wiped I watched some brilliant buskers in the Grassmarket then shuffled off to digs. Helen cooks an amazing risotto with minestrone starter and with chat into the wee hours about nlp and life and social politics.
If that was supposed to be the worst day the rest of the Fringe will be sensational!


No comments:

Post a Comment