Friday 21 August 2015

Friday blues

Bump bump bump.
I was expecting it
bump bump bump
Everyone gets it at the Fringe.
bump bump bump along the bottom of my moral.
Not a crash or a crisis or a flatness or stuck but huuuuuuuuu - a long slow sigh.

Reasons
1) Tiredness; Way to many late nights chatting followed by early starts. Yesterday's run up Arthurs seat has a price to pay today.
2) Fatigue; Yes it's different. The same routine everyday is taking it's toll. More accurately the things that are wrong on day one, that are not fixable e.g. flyer design, venue location are still a problem at the end of day thirteen and will be until the end.
3) Performance; I love my little show. There are many other shows (thousands) but none quite like mine. My audience has come from connections I've made before getting here and conversations I've had with the public. There was not enough of the former and it's hard to delegate the later.
The upshot is very small numbers for the Mambalsa show and very little I can do about it..... this time around.
I took action yesterday re Camden and started two new flyerers and yes we were busier today c.30
Now the teams in place for the weekend where I can rammo it. (hopefully)

What I can do is take action where I can and learn from my mistakes.
Yes I'm going out salsaing tonight and hopefully do a mambalsa demo and network the crowd.
Now I'm going to list all the things I could do better for next year.... on paper.

Now I'm starting to feel better.
Just got my first ever review ever! It's from broadwaybaby.com! hurrar two stars! that's **
here the bit about me :
"Compere Alastair Sadler anchors the show. He is the bread of your BLT, holding all the ingredients together, just about. His rapport with the audience is natural, and of the performers he is one of the most self-assured. His background as a dance instructor make for some funny observations on the quality of British men’s dancing. Sadler is quick in responding to audience banter but the professionalism of his compering would be improved if he could remember all the act’s names."

So here's my thoughts:
First ever Fringe show two stars equals  not bad.
Two stars - but who's the other one?
I would have liked three but two's better than one, and BB. gave 240 shows one star to date.
I agree that my style of MC'ing is shambollic. That's my style. I like to start off shambolic and stay that way rather than start of slick and end up shambollic. Let's face it I can't do shampoo but I can do shambollic.

I've never been called bread before! I think a little extra detail as to what type of bread would have been useful! Baggett vs sesame bun, Homepride vs artisan whole grain. But it just says 'bread' so please choose the most appropriate for a btl and picture me having them roll-ing in the ayles. Bap you didn't see that one coming! I'm very crustworthy! Perhaps I should be aspiring to be the lettuce? Begone my delusions of bacon!

Ok I forget names all the time and the one's I don't, I fluff when saying them. That's why I have them on my phone which I use to play the 'to the stage music' which sometime helps and sometimes doesn't, see paragraph on shambollic. I do totally own all my mistakes and my apologies to any act who's names I've mucked up, mispronounced or misspelled. Why misspelled? Well the reviewer, who's name I forget, had to email me because she had..... forgotten  the acts names!!!!

Alastair aka Staradoubley
ps the reviewers name was 01000001111010101010100001101111001010100111110000
Yes it's a binary joke!







No comments:

Post a Comment